It’s been an exciting year in Owensboro/Daviess County. OwensboroLiving.com has enjoyed bringing you local stories delivered daily to all your devices.
Here’s a look back at the 15 most read stories posted on OwensboroLiving.com in 2015:
- Mellow Mushroom Mayor Ron Payne announced in January 2015 that Mellow Mushroom will be opening a location in downtown Owensboro. Work is still being done on the building at 101 West Second Street. We posted a follow-up article in September.
- Wonder Whip All of Owensboro was surprised when “The Whip” closed its doors after 60 years in business. OwensboroLiving spoke with owner, Billy Mulligan, in August. The building still remains empty.
- Winter Storm Remember all that snow last winter? This video and post on February 16 shows an aerial view of Owensboro under a blanket of snow.
- Ohio River Flood Warning (ranked #5 and #10) This post and video from March 9 shows the river nearly capping the wall at Smothers Park. The update on March 10 shows outlying rivers as well.
- Missing Juveniles (ranked #6 and #13). OwensboroLiving receives missing juvenile reports regularly from OPD. Thankfully, our readers share those posts to get the word out to help them be located.
- Look Inside Gabe’s Our friend Adam Paris (AP Imagery) took these photos from inside Gabe’s tower at the beginning of the renovations in September. (See article below at #14.)
- Christmas Light Tour The Lashbrooks house might be the biggest Christmas light display in Owensboro, but they’re not the only game in town. Many of our readers enjoyed this Christmas light tour posted in early December.
- Surrogate Sister This story of family, love and sacrifice was one of the longest videos OwensboroLiving has ever posted.
- Nina and Pinta Children and history buffs alike were thrilled when the Nina and Pinta docked in Owensboro, backdropped by the new downtown skyline.
- OHS Coach Joe Prince Resigns After an amazing run to the state championship game, OHS football coach Joe Prince announced his retirement in January.
- Owensboro 20 Years Ago This look back at Owensboro in the 90’s was a very popular post. (Special thanks to David Edds, Jr. for the gazebo photo.) Read the follow up, Owensboro 30 years ago, here.
- Meijer In July, OwensboroLiving reported that Meijer was building a store on 54.
- Drug Busts OPD had a busy week in mid-December, making a major meth arrest and two cocaine trafficking arrests on back-to-back days.
- Work on Gabe’s Begins After several changes of ownership and years of planning, renovations began on Gabe’s Tower in September.
- Krispy Kreme Coming? No further updates yet, but Krispy Kreme told OwensboroLiving in August they had scouted locations in Owensboro.