Things sure have changed a lot in Owensboro in the last 10 years, especially downtown and out 54. Just for fun, let’s take a trip back in time to life in Owensboro 20 years ago:
- In 1995, the most exciting thing happening downtown was riding the glass elevator at the Big E. We used to drive down there just to ride that thing. (Come on. You know you did it!)
- In 1995, hanging out in Wesleyan Park Plaza was still a thing. They call it loitering now.
- In 1995, there were only a few restaurants on 54 and Wal-Mart was still several years away.
- In 1995, taking a stroll along the riverfront meant walking from the RiverPark Center, past the gazebo, to the boat ramp and back. (But hey, don’t knock it. The Bluegrass festival that was the predecessor to ROMP was started at that gazebo.) Remember the old water fountains and the flagpoles?
- In 1995, there were still stores in Lincoln Mall and a movie theater in Wesleyan Park Plaza.
- In 1995, Friday After Five was still two years away.
- In 1995, the converted-school-bus trolley rode up and down Frederica.
- In 1995, we spent summer nights at Golfland playing putt-putt, shoving countless coins in the batting cages, spinning laps on the go-kart track, and trying to drive golf balls over the nets to Parrish Avenue “Happy Gilmore”style. (It was impossible, but fun to try.)
- In 1995, we still ice skated in the old rink, back behind the Sportscenter.
What do you remember about Owensboro in 1995?