After a one year hiatus for the painting project last year, the Glover H. Cary Bridge will again be closed to traffic for “bridge day” Saturday from 10am – 2pm, allowing pedestrians to enjoy walking across the Blue Bridge to the Indiana side and back.
Bridge Day coincides with the 4th annual East Bridge Arts and Music Festival, which will be held at Studio Slant just east of the bridge on Second Street. From 10am-7pm, come enjoy the work of over 50 artists from around the tri-state, live music, and gourmet food vendors. The surrounding sidewalks and streets will become one giant canvas as sidewalk chalk artists transform downtown.
The Hilliard Lyons Health and Fitness Classic 5K will also be that morning, starting at 9am, where runners and walkers will cross the bridge and back while it is shut down to traffic. The YMCA Kids Fun Run & Fitness Challenge event will begin at 10 a.m. directly after the 5k race and include a 100 yard dash for K and 1st graders, 200 yard dash for 2nd grade through 5th grade. And also join the Owensboro Healthpark instructors for a variety of fun ‘mini’ classes on the riverfront. Classes are set to take place from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Stop in before or after participating in the race to try Body Flow, Zumba, Boot Camps and more. All ages are welcome. Sessions are scheduled to begin every 30 minutes.
Stop by the Convention Center for the Owensboro Flea Market which features over 240 vendors from across the region selling everything you can imagine, both new and old. Plus, don’t miss the “BIG BLUE REUNION” from 1pm-4pm featuring UK Basketball National Champions Kyle Macy, Jeff Sheppard, Anthony Epps and Jarrod Polson. The players will be signing autographs and posing for photos for free with fans inside the show!
Right to Life of Owensboro is hosting the 35th Annual Walk for Life on Saturday, September 6. Registration for the event begins at 9 a.m. at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church. The walk will begin promptly at 10 a.m. and will proceed down Frederica Street to Wesleyan Park Plaza before returning back to Lourdes. Light snacks and plenty of drinks will be provided.
The RiverPark center is hosting Sesame Street Live “Let’s Dance!”, an up-close, interactive experience that includes dance parties. Elmo uses his imagination to ‘Do the Robot,’ Cookie teaches all ‘feets’ to dance, Abby leads a rhyming game, and Ernie shares the fun of dance with the Sesame Street favorite “Shake Your Head One Time.” Favorite friends join the audience on the floor – dancing with fans, not just for them. It’s Sesame Street Live like you’ve never experienced it before! Tickets are still available and can be purchased on the RiverPark Center’s website.
How about a free concert? LIVE on the Banks proudly presents International Roots-Rockers, Heath & Molly, from 7-9pm at the Overlook Stage at Smothers Park in Downtown Owensboro. Heath & Molly have recently returned from their second European Concert Tour and we are super excited to have them here in Owensboro. This is one show you do not want to miss! Join us for this FREE Concert, presented by the City of Owensboro.
The complete list of Saturday’s activities via visitowensboro.com:
- Fisher Park: USFA Fast-Pitch State Championship, through Sept. 7
- Apollo High School: Freshman Invitational Volleyball Tournament, all day
- Owensboro Christian Church: Owensboro Regional Farmers Market, 6:30 a.m.-noon
- McConnell Plaza at Smothers Park: Hilliard Lyons Health and Fitness Class 5K Bridge Run/Walk, 7:30 a.m.
- Right to Life of Owensboro’s 35th Annual Walk for Life, 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
- Kentucky Wesleyan College: Car and Truck Show, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Preservation Station: Market Days, 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Owensboro Convention Center: Owensboro Flea Market, 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Cliff Hagan Girls and Boys Club: Kentucky Made Expo, 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Studio Slant/Downtown Owensboro: East Bridge Art & Music Festival, 10:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
- Downtown Owensboro Bridge: Bridge Day, 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Daviess County Public Library: Saturday Morning Live, 10:00 a.m.-noon
- Owensboro Museum of Fine Art: Riverartes Exhibit Opens, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- RiverPark Center: Sesame Street Live “Let’s Dance!,” shows at 10:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- Museum of Science and History: Coal Mine Exhibit Guided Tour, 11:30 a.m. or 3:00 p.m.
- Owensboro Convention Center: Big Blue Reunion, 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Downtown Owensboro: Cruise In, 4:00-9:00 p.m.
- Smothers Park Overlook Stage: Live on the Banks free concert, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Empress Theater: Americana Opry, 7:00-10:00 p.m.
- National Guard Armory: Owensboro Ballroom Dance Club Sock Hop, 7:30-10:30 p.m.