Brescia University has been named to multiple rankings by Washington Monthly in their 2017 College Guide, an annual publication. Brescia University was recognized on the “Best Bang for the Buck Southern Colleges” list, and, alongside Berea College, was the only college from Kentucky recognized in the top 25 of the list. Brescia University was also named one of the “Top 150 Baccalaureate Colleges” by the guide.
Washington Monthly is a bimonthly nonprofit magazine based in Washington, D.C. that has published an annual College Guide and rankings since 2005. The rankings rate schools in the United States based on their contribution to the public good in three categories; social mobility, research, and service. They also offer an exclusive list of schools that help students attain marketable degrees at affordable prices.
“Instead of rewarding colleges for the number of applications they reject, we give them credit for enrolling unusually large numbers of low-income and first-generation students,” stated Kevin Carey, Director, Education Policy Program at New America Foundation and guest editor of the Washington Monthly College Guide issue in an article contained in the published guide. “Instead of assuming that the most expensive schools are also the best, we recognize universities that produce research, train the next generation of scientists and PhDs, and instill their graduates with an ethos of public service.”
“We are honored to be recognized by the Washington Monthly, and be named alongside so many other outstanding institutions,” stated Father Larry Hostetter, President of Brescia University. “Particularly inspiring for us is to be recognized for our ability to instill the characteristics of a servant leader into each of our graduates. This is such an important part of who we are as a university, and our legacy that we were founded upon by the Ursuline Sister of Mount Saint Joseph. We are incredibly proud of the difference that our students, alumni, faculty and staff make in the lives of others, in their communities, and in our world.”
This ranking comes on the heels of a multitude of other awards and recognition for the university including:
- 25 Best Colleges in Kentucky (College Choice)
- Most Affordable Online Master’s in Social Work (GetEducated.com)
- A Best College in the Southeast (Princeton Review)
- Best Value School (University Research and Review)
- United States Presidential Volunteer Service Award (Junior Achievement)
- #42 Best Private College (lendedu)
- #71 Overall College for Lowest Student Loan Debt in the Nation (lendedu)
- Best Online Bachelor’s in Social Work Program in 2017 (Best Colleges.com)
- #6 Affordable Online Graduate Certificates in Accounting (AffordableColleges.com)
- 20 Best Online Colleges in Kentucky for 2017 (College Choice)
- Champions of Character Five-Star Institution (NAIA)
- #4 Best College for Lowest Student Loan Debt in Kentucky (Lend Edu)
- 2018 Best Regional College (Princeton Review)
- Best Online Bachelor’s in Social Work Program (BestColleges.com)
- America’s Best Colleges for Adult Learners (Washington Monthly)
- 30 Best Affordable Online Bachelor’s in Psychology (bestdegreeprograms.org)
- #5 Most Affordable Online Theology Degree (affordablecollege.com)
- 100 Best Online Colleges for 2017-2018 (thebestschools.org)
- 2018 Best Colleges and Universities (WalletHub)
- Best Online Bachelor’s in Social Work Degrees (College Choice)
For more information on the Washington Monthly College Guide and rankings, visit washingtonmonthly.com/2017-college-guide.
For more information, please contact Kayla Altman, Director of Marketing and Public Relations at email@example.com or 270.686.2110.