The Owensboro Police Department, community owned and operated since 1817, wants to give the citizens of Owensboro the opportunity to see how THEIR department operates on a day-to-day basis. We believe that by educating the community, we can foster better communications between the Owensboro Police Department and those we serve. To that end, we are pleased to announce that we are currently accepting applications for the 2017 Citizen’s Police Academy; 2017 marks the 24th year that this program has been offered to the Owensboro community.
The Citizen’s Police Academy is a 14 week long class that will meet at the Owensboro Police Department for three hour sessions one night each week, and is designed to give insight into the day-to-day operations of the Owensboro Police Department. It is scheduled to run on each Thursday from August 3rd to November 2nd; class times are 6:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
Members of the department will be your presenters and may discuss course topics such as:
- Tour of OPD Headquarters
- Patrol Operations
- Hiring Process
- Professional Standards
- Criminal Investigations
- Hazardous Material Recovery
- D.U.I. – portable breath test/intoxilyzer
- Arrest/Handcuffing Procedures
- Officer Safety
- Dispatch – Codes & Signals
- Street Crimes – Surveillance Equipment, Undercover Operations
- OPD Firing Range – Firearms Demonstration
- Emergency Response Team – Dynamic Entry, Rappelling
- K-9 Officer – Training, Capabilities, Demonstration
Registration is limited… the deadline to apply is Friday, July 21st!
To apply click on this link where you can read more about the Citizen’s Police Academy.