The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) and Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) are planning annual walk-through inspections on jointly-owned Ohio River bridges starting Tuesday, August 22, 2017.
Motorists should be prepared to encounter work zone lane restrictions at the following locations:
- Tuesday, August 22nd – Henderson, KY
US 41 Twin Bridges starting at 10 a.m., CDT, for about 4 hours
Inspectors will make use of the existing work zone on the US 41 Twin Bridges for their walk through inspection with no additional restrictions required
- Wednesday, August 23rd – Owensboro
– US 231 Ohio River “William Natcher” Bridge at Owensboro starting about 9:00 a.m., CDT, for about 3 hours
– KY 2262/Indiana Route 161 Ohio River “Blue” Bridge at Owensboro starting at 1:00 p.m., CDT, for about 3 hours
- Thursday, August 24th- Hawesville, KY
– KY 69/Indiana Route 237 Ohio River “Bob Cummins-Lincoln Trail Bridge” Bridge at Hawesville starting about 9:00 a.m., CDT, for about 2 hours
All bridges get a detailed inspection every two years with long-span river and lake bridges getting an additional walk-through inspection annually. The joint walk-through inspections allow inspectors from both states to discuss and plan maintenance projects that may be needed in the future.
On 2-lane bridges motorists should be alert for one lane traffic with alternating flow controlled by flaggers. On 4-lane bridges motorists should be alert for slowing and merging traffic as the approach work zone lane restrictions.
Appropriate caution is required where equipment, flaggers, and inspection personnel are along the roadway in close proximity to traffic flow.
Timely traffic advisories for the 11 counties of KYTC Highway District 2 are available by going to facebook . You do not have to be a Facebook member to access this page.