With snow likely this weekend, Owensboro Fire Department reminds the community of these five things to know about winter weather forecasts:
- Snow or ice totals can vary greatly over short distances. A heavy snow band may form, dropping more snow in one location while significantly less snow falls just a few miles away.
- Winter forecasts can change frequently. Forecasts may change as new model data becomes available. Always check weather.gov for the latest information.
- Focus more on the winter storm’s impacts. Don’t focus too much on exact numbers, and consider the full range of possibilities.
- Know your winter weather terminology. If a Watch is issued, get prepared for hazardous weather. If a Warning or Advisory is issued, take action – hazardous weather is occurring or will occur soon.
- Rely on a dependable source for weather info. Choose your information sources wisely, and follow a name or organization you know and trust.
*Information provided by weather.gov/winter.