Kentucky Wesleyan College will celebrate Homecoming and Fall Family Weekend 2016 on September 30 – October 2 and will honor seven alumni at the annual Alumni Association Awards Dinner.
The honorees include:
Hall of Fame – Benjamin H. Abbott ’59
Mr. Abbott is retired after 31 years with Chevron Oil Co., where he held marketing positions in the Southeast and Northwest. He served on the College’s Board of Trustees from 1977-1993 and as president of the Alumni Association in 1975-76. He was instrumental in starting the Wesleyan soccer program and has recruited many students over the years. He was named the Alumni Association’s Outstanding Alumnus in 1981.
Outstanding Alumnus Award – Rev. Dr. Thomas B. Grieb ’78
Dr. Grieb is the senior pastor at Centenary United Methodist Church in Lexington, Ky. He has served in several pastorates throughout Kentucky, including Settle Memorial United Methodist Church in Owensboro from 1995-2000. He has also served in a number of leadership capacities in the Kentucky Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. He is chairman of the Kentucky Wesleyan College Board of Trustees.
Alumni Achievement Award – Donald L. Stepner ’63
Mr. Stepner is a practicing attorney in the Cincinnati area and a partner with Adams, Stepner, Woltermann & Dusing, PLLC, in Covington, Ky. He was recognized among the elite trial attorneys by his election to the American College of Trial Lawyers. He previously served as attorney for the Boys Club of Northern Kentucky and helped them acquire land for a new Boys Club Building. He was a licensed Kentucky High School Soccer Official for 13 years and did the Kentucky State High School Finals and a number of regional finals.
Outstanding Young Graduate – Katy Evans Harrison ’01
Mrs. Harrison has taught in the Owensboro Public Schools for 14 years. She recently completed ten years of service on the Alumni Association Board of Directors and was president of the association for two years. She is active in fundraising for the March of Dimes.
Alumni Service Award – J. Richard ’57 and Nancy ’58 Svara Zimmerman
Mr. Zimmerman taught secondary school for 25 years and served as deputy executive director of the State Teachers’ Retirement System of Ohio for 16 years. He was director of marketing for Covansys for seven years. He served in many leadership roles in education at the state and national levels and was a long-time member of the Kentucky Wesleyan Alumni Association Board of Directors.
Mrs. Zimmerman taught elementary school for 30 years and was the assistant social activities director at two senior living facilities for six years. She has been a member of the United Methodist Women for 50 years and has held various offices and served as an executive board member. The Zimmermans were married in 1957.
Gus E. Paris Distinguished Service Award – Matthew G. Ruark ’09
Mr. Ruark is associate director of admissions at Kentucky Wesleyan College. He served as assistant director of alumni relations from 2009-2011 and was director of alumni relations from 2011-2015. He coordinates the annual Future Business Leaders of American conference, which brings hundreds of high school students to Wesleyan each year, and he supports the Sophomore Experience Program as a volunteer to children with life-threatening illnesses at “Give Kids the World” in Florida.
Homecoming activities include:
Friday, Sept. 30
- Campus Tours / 2 – 4 p.m.
- Volleyball vs. Cedarville University / 7 p.m. / Jones Gymnasium
- Pep Rally and Bonfire / 9 p.m. / Quad
Saturday, Oct. 1
- Opening the Archives / 9 a.m. / Greenwell Library and Learning Center
- Golden Jubilee Club Brunch: 1952-1966 / 10 a.m. / Rogers Hall, Winchester Center (Registration required)
- Panther Tailgate / 11 a.m. / Near Entry Gate to Steele Stadium
- Football Letterwinners Tent / 11 a.m. / Adjacent to Steele Stadium
- Wesleyan Singers Rehearsal / 11 a.m. / Tapscott Chapel
- Theatre Arts Open House / Noon / Ralph Center
- Women’s Soccer vs. Trevecca Nazarene / Noon / Panther Field
- Baseball Doubleheader / Noon / Panther Park
- Volleyball vs. Ohio Valley / 1 p.m. / Jones Gymnasium
- Football vs. Central State / 1 p.m. / Steele Stadium
- Men’s Soccer vs. Trevecca Nazarene / 2:30 p.m. / Panther Field
- Wesleyan Singers Concert / 4 p.m. / Tapscott Chapel
- Women’s Basketball Alumni Reception / 4 p.m. / President’s Home
- Alumni Awards and Hall of Fame Reception and Dinner / 6 p.m. / Owensboro Convention Center (Registration required)
Sunday, Oct. 2
- Softball Alumni Game / 11 a.m. / Panther Park
- Sunday Worship / 11 a.m. / Wesleyan Heights United Methodist Church
- Class of 1966 Golden Jubilee Closing Luncheon / 12:30 p.m. / Moonlite Bar-B-Q
For more information, contact the Alumni Association at [email protected] or 270-852-3146.