Since 2001, Independence Bank has awarded $814,700 in college scholarships to high school seniors. This year was no different when Independence Bank awarded $119,350 to high school seniors within their service area at a scholarship reception held Tuesday, April 25, 2017. Of that amount, $25,100 has been awarded to Daviess County seniors to further their education.
The Guy Reisz Memorial $10,000 Scholarship was awarded to Stephanie Williams of Apollo High School. Mr. Reisz served as an Independence Bank board of director. The Guy Reisz Memorial Scholarship was intended for a student attending Kentucky Wesleyan College in Owensboro.
Tatum Helm of Owensboro High School received a $5,000 Revolutionary Scholarship. Rachel Hunter of Apollo High School and Alison Kuntz from Owensboro Catholic High School received a $3,000 Daviess County Community Board Scholarship. Lindsey Hunter of Apollo High School and Adam Bouchard of Daviess County High School each received $1,050 Daviess County Community Board Scholarship.
Thirteen students were chosen as county finalists and awarded the Maurice E. Reisz $500 Scholarship along with a $500 Ernie and Martine Davis Scholarship. Finalists Rachel Hunter and Alison Kuntz each received an additional $1,000. The thirteen chosen were also competing for the Charles A. Reid $15,000 Scholarship.
The thirteen finalists were:
- Zachary Ellis-Calloway County High School
- Rachel Hunter-Apollo High School
- Alison Kuntz-Owensboro Catholic High School
- Taylor Cheek-Franklin County High School
- Ashley Hale-Mayfield High School
- Olivia Potts-Hancock County High School
- Isaac Oettle-Henderson County High School
- Irelane Enoch-Madisonville North Hopkins High School
- Jaylon Carr-Ballard High School
- Michael-Ellen Walden-Paducah Tilghman High School
- Emma Dame-McLean County High School
- De’Angelo Wilson-Bowling Green High School
- Helen Chavis-Webster County High School
The Charles A. Reid $15,000 Scholarship went to finalist Jaylon Carr of Ballard High School in Jefferson County. This original scholarship started our program 16 years ago and is given in honor of former Independence Bank President, Charles A. Reid. His wish was to develop a scholarship program so that students could continue their pursuit of a higher education – something he placed the utmost importance on.
Maleah Harris of South Spencer High School was awarded the Marjorie Reid $10,000 scholarship. Marjorie Reid, wife of Charles A. Reid, was one of the founding partners of Independence Bank. Mrs. Reid awards this scholarship to a child or grandchild of an Independence Bank employee or director so that the pursuit of higher education is extended to our Bank family.
Other scholarships awarded include:
- Maurice E. Reisz Memorial $10,000 Scholarship
- The Ernie & Martine Davis $3,000 Scholarship
- The Lanham Family $3,000 Scholarship
- Derek Hart Memorial $1,000 Scholarship
- The Spirit of 76’ $3,000 Scholarship
- Independence Bank Chairman’s $5,000 Scholarship
To learn more about the Independence Bank scholarship program and the scholarships awarded please visit 1776bank.com