Some years, it has been warm and 60. Other years, it has been canceled for snow and ice. But as long as the weather cooperates, this year’s Holiday Stroll will be the biggest and best ever. To accommodate the fun and festivities, hours have been extended to include a full afternoon and evening of activities from 1-8 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015, in downtown Owensboro.
The Holiday Stroll began in 2008 when We Are Downtown, Inc. coordinated the event as a fun way to bring people downtown for dining and Christmas shopping. The event has grown to include strolling carolers, wagon rides, discounts in participating stores and restaurants, live entertainment, free treats at downtown establishments and the official lighting of the Christmas tree by the Mayor at 5 p.m. in Smothers Park.
This year, the Holiday Stroll takes special significance because it also serves as the official closing ceremony for the Daviess County Bicentennial Celebration with a time capsule re-burying ceremony on the Courthouse lawn and community caroling around the Bicentennial Christmas Tree.
The Daviess County Public Library and the Owensboro Convention Center will host the Gingerbread Celebration at the Convention Center from 1-4 p.m. Kids 12 and under can decorate one gingerbread cookie. There will also be story time, singing and free ham wraps courtesy of Specialty Food Groups.
The Owensboro Museum of Science and History is offering FREE admission from 4-8 p.m. with kids activities including the Polar Express and a meet and greet with a live penguin from the Newport Aquarium from 4 – 6 p.m!
We Are Downtown is also presenting a “Stroll and Seek” scavenger hunt, where participants search for Elf on the Shelf elves hidden in various downtown locations. The grand prize winning team receives two tickets to “Elf-The Musical” at the Peabody Opera House in St. Louis, two roundtrip airfare tickets provided by Cape Air and one night’s stay in a downtown hotel in St. Louis.
Here are the rules for the Stroll and Seek Elf of the Shelf Scavenger Hunt:
- Anyone can play, but must be 21 or older to claim grand prize.
- Teams search locations throughout downtown Owensboro to find the hidden elves. Snap a picture with each elf and submit your answers for your chance to win the grand prize St. Louis getaway!
- Teams of 2-4 (Note: Grand prize getaway trip is only for two).
- No vehicle is required, but you must have a smart phone and ability to email answers.
- Subject line for every picture submitted must have: Team Name, Team Number and Elf Number.
- This is not a race to finish first! Teams that complete and submit all pictures will be put into a drawing for the grand prize trip.
- Register at the Convention and Visitors Bureau on 2nd Street at 1pm. Teams will receive numbers and a complete list of rules and instructions.