Recipe and photos by Jamie Plain
Few dishes embody the essence of home-cooked comfort food quite like a classic Chicken Pot Pie. With its flaky golden crust, rich and creamy filling, and tender chunks of chicken and vegetables, this timeless dish has been warming hearts and satisfying appetites for generations. It is an extremely versatile recipe, as you can pick and choose your favorite vegetables to include if you don’t like our picks. The chicken can also be replaced with turkey if you are looking for a way to get through all those Thanksgiving leftovers! No matter how you put it together, this Chicken Pot Pie recipe is here to guide you through creating a delightful meal that’s sure to become a cherished favorite.
Four Cups cooked Chicken, shredded
3 slices of bacon, chopped
6 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced thin
2 stalks celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp each – fresh thyme, rosemary & sage (chopped)
salt/pepper to taste
1 cup frozen peas
Fresh parsley for garnish
2 puff pastry sheets, thawed/cut to rectangles
Splash of white wine to deglaze pan
1. Preheat oven to 375°
Add sliced bacon to a cast iron skillet and heat until cooked through.
2. Melt the butter. Add diced onions, carrots, and celery and saute 8 minutes over medium heat (until soft). Then add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant.
3. Add a splash of white wine to the pan to deglaze. Scrape any brown bits off the bottom then reduce until most of the wine has evaporated.
4. Add flour and stir constantly until smooth and golden. Then add chicken stock and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened. Add salt & pepper to taste.
5. Stir in chicken, peas, and parsley (to taste), then take the filling off the heat as you prepare the crust.
6. Cut puff pastry sheets into small rectangles and overlap them on top of the pot pie. Brush the top with a beaten egg, then bake 30-40 minutes, until the pastry on top is golden brown. Let rest for 10min then serve! OL