Photo by Jamie Alexander
3 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 15 sheets)
1 1/2 sticks of butter, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
1 box of favorite chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients called for on box)
Optional garnishes (chocolate syrup, mini marshmallows, etc)
4 Large egg whites
1 cup sugar, granulated
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. Combine all graham crackers, butter, sugar, and salt in a bowl, mixing to combine.
3. Press about 1 tbs of mixture into each cupcake liner to make mini crusts.
4. Prepare cake mix according to instructions on box, and divide between the liners, pouring on top of graham cracker crust. Bake according to boxed instructions. Let cool.
5. To make meringue, add all meringue ingredients to a medium (heatproof) bowl. Fill a sauce pan with water (1-2 inches high). Heat the water until simmering. Place the meringue mixture over the simmering water and stir constantly until the mixture has reached 175 degrees.
6. Remove the mixture from the stove and add to a stand mixture with a whisk attachment. Whisk on high until the mixture is fluffy and holds stiff peaks. Pipe the meringue onto the cooled cupcakes and use a kitchen torch to scorch them before adding your optional garnishes.